Reasons for Why an Electric Outlet Sparks

What’s an electric outlet spark and how does it occur? The answer is: An electric spark can be explained as a form of electrostatic discharge that occurs when an electric field creates a highly ionized, electrically conductive channel through an insulating medium, which can be gas or gas mixtures. In some occasions they are quite normal, but sometimes they come in dangerous magnitudes. At this point of time, assistance from an electrical service and repair firm in Kansas City is vital. Here are a few reasons for why spark outbreaks in electric outlets:

1. Power flowing through outlets is very fast and hot without any interruption. When an appliance is plugged in, some of this power immediately flows into it which sometimes can bring out mild sparks. Cases like these are completely normal and equivalent to static electricity. When electrons are freely moving, there are no chances for sparks to take form.

2. The insulation surrounding the wires can melt when there is an occurrence of overheating. This can lead to fire as the wires are exposed. The electrons can jump into the wrong area when a connection is made, eventually leading to spark. This is called short circuiting.

3. Water is a good conductor of electricity. Presence of water can cause the outlet to short and cause sparks. In this phenomenon, fire can be prevented by installing Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) that will shut down and protect the system.

4. As years go by, electric wires shall loosen out. Loosening of wires will increase the chances of short circuit, and in most cases, such short circuits may also cause a fire outbreak.

5. Do not try to fix electric repairs by yourself without knowing the technicalities of it. By doing so, you might make the system susceptible to short circuit and damage. Always rely on professionals to perform any sort of electric repair to avoid problems in the near or far future.

Preventive tips:

– When you pull out the appliance cord, do it gently performing it with one hand while anchoring the wall outlet with the other.

– Always switch off the circuit breaker or unplug the lamp, in the event of bulb replacements.

– Do not plug too many appliances in the same outlet, as this can cause fire.

– Do not use wet hands while operating electric appliances & keep out from the reach of children.

– Ensure your wiring system is in good order and also ask your electrician if the circuit breaker used is compatible with the amount of current being utilized.

Dabbling with electricity without care is very risky. Only depend on Residential electrical repairs firm in Kansas City to safely alleviate all sorts of electric problems. Stay Safe!

Mason Jones, specialized in electrical and electronics repairs, shares his knowledge about the outbreak of sparks in electric outlets & the measures to prevent them. Know more,