Goal setting is the true secret to success in any area of life. But although setting a goal may seem simple, achieving it is usually another question altogether. This is because you will never achieve your goals unless you: (1) know exactly what you want, (2) are passionate about your goal, and (3) have a solid, realistic plan of action. This is what makes the difference between vague dreams and wishes – and truly achievable goals! Many obstacles and challenges will fly right in your face when you’re going after a goal. But here are 5 time-tested methods that will help get the success you deserve.
1. Know exactly what your goal is. What is it exactly that you want to achieve? What exactly is that goal like? What do you want to have in your life when you achieve that goal? It is advisable to be clear about your goals because this is what separates fact from fluff.
If your goal is to get better grades at school, what will that look like when you achieve it? Are you ultimately trying to get into a specific college? Are you looking for a very specific career? Or can your goal be better expressed in terms of the way your life will be if you get those grades? Regardless of what you want, the best way to get it is to first clarify exactly what you want in as much detail as possible. This can be hard work – but without a clear mental picture you’ll never have the focus required to achieve your goal.
2. Be willing to make sacrifices. Success takes dedicated preparation and determination. You can liken it to starting a business. In the beginning all you have is an idea that needs to be developed, nurtured, and fleshed out. Once you get past that step and start building your business you may realize you have less time for other things in your life, you may become frustrated along the way when sales aren’t as high as you want them to be, and you also may see that this idea is taking up more of your time than you anticipated. That’s okay! In order to truly have success with your goals, you must make the necessary sacrifices to get there.
If your goal is paying off your mortgage in 3 years, then that means having to forego having dinner out every weekend. If your goal is to top your guitar class, it means spending more time practicing and less time socializing. This is the “full glass” concept – if you have a set routine and a set number of activities in your life which are keeping you busy, then there’s no room for anything more. Make the time for yourself so that you can achieve your goals.
3. Focus on your goal every day. I’m sure you probably want to achieve your goal as fast as possible. That’s why clear mental focus is so very important. Consistent daily focus is absolutely necessary to “burn in” the new neural pathways you need to create your new goal. Without daily focus, the old mental habits that have kept you from your goal will continue to take over. This happens automatically – since these old habits replay 24/7 deep in your subconscious mind. The only way to override subconscious anti-success messages is to consciously focus on what you do want – and build new neural networks! That’s why success is an every-day event.
Re-commit to your goal every day. Don’t let your goal take a back seat to the daily tasks and distractions that will try to take over. Life will try to get in your way. Just get, and stay, on course every day. Focus on your goal, and on your success!
4. Get passionate. Whatever it is you want to achieve success in, feel passion for it. This is a powerful tool to have in the “success tool box”. Having an intense passion for your goal will sharpen your mental focus and build those mental bridges for positive thinking towards achieving your goal. This method has been proven scientifically over the years! Intense passion for your goal also drives away the limiting beliefs you have in your subconscious brain – thoughts that you cannot achieve your goal or that you don’t have the means to achieve it.
5. Take consistent action. In many ways, actually taking action can be the most difficult step. Successful goal achievement is built by taking one small action after another. So the word of today is action! If you commit to take at least one small action each day, your actions will add up and make a difference. So avoid sitting back waiting for that time when everything will just “magically happen.”
You are able to achieve anything you want in your life! All you have to do is follow these steps to create success. You must visualize your goal, face sacrifices, maintain focus, feel passion, and make steps toward it every day. Stop dreaming about what you want to do and do it! You are worth every step you take.
HelpMeToStudy.org is the best resource for learning new study skills, transforming your studying habits and discovering the best study tips available. We will help change the way you think about study – and even better – we will show you how to study effectively: How To Achieve Goals | Motivate Me To Study