The war vessel U.S.S. Arkansas was to be authorized and the Pine Bluff part of the Daughters of the American Revolution voted to show an Arkansas State Flag to the boat. The board obediently sent a letter off to Secretary of State Earl W. Hodges to take in more about the banner. They got an answer to their letter clarifying that Arkansas had no state banner.
The Pine Bluff Daughters decided that this situation had to be corrected and sponsored a statewide flag design contest. Secretary of State, Hodges chaired the committee to select the flag design and chose a distinguished group to assist him: Dr. Junius Jordan, the Chairman of Philosophy and Pedagogy at the University of Arkansas; Mrs. Julia McAlmont Noel, a member of the John McAlmont chapter of the D.A.R. in Pine Bluff; Miss Julia Warner, a teacher in the Little Rock school system, and Mrs. P.H. Ellsworth, a former president of the Arkansas Federation of Women’s Clubs.
The DAR chapter thereupon launched a statewide design contest to create one. Hodges agreed to chair a committee for selecting the winning design. Ultimately, some sixty-five designs-including crayon drawings, watercolor sketches, and even miniature silk flags were submitted.
The configuration portrayed an extensive white precious stone circumscribed by a quarter century on a blue band. A straight line of three blue stars was focused in the precious stone. The banner board of trustees thought the state’s name ought to be on the banner. Miss Hocker concurred and proposed that the blue stars be re-organized with one star over the name and two underneath.
This time uproar came from those who claimed the addition of the fourth star compromised the original meaning and symmetry of the design. So, in 1924, the Arkansas Legislature addressed the design of the state flag again. The original three stars were moved below the state name and the additional star was centered above the state name. This is the way the flag is today.
The committee decreed that the flag ought to bear the state’s name. Hocker assented and suggested that the three blue stars be rearranged, one above the name and two below. On February 26, 1913, the General Assembly adopted this design as the state’s official flag. The design remained unchanged until 1923 when the General Assembly added a fourth star to the central diamond to represent Arkansas’s membership in the Confederate States of America.