Calcium and Bone Health

Calcium is a mineral needed for strong teeth and bone health. It is also important in the growth of young adults and children.  The absorption of calcium as well as vitamin D, and the creation of bone reach a peak around twenty years of age.  It begins to decrease from the age of thirty when a process of draining begins.


Good intake of calcium and vitamin D increases bone mass in children and young adults, as well as decreases bone loss and improves bone health among people over 30.


Research has shown that calcium benefits by having slimming effect on the metabolism and could be important as an element of weight loss.  This research has also shown that calcium prevents weight gain by promoting the type of fat that is burned instead of the type that is stored.


Experts advise 3 servings a day as well as decreasing calories in other areas of the diet that will accommodate this increase in daily intake. Milk has also shown added calcium benefits by its antioxidant-rich properties that can prevent some cancers, such as ovarian, colorectal and breast cancer.


However, studies have also shown that extreme doses of calcium might increase the risk of some cancers as well.  This suggests that calcium supplementation is not a way to prevent cancer, but adequate intake of calcium through diet is recommended instead.


There is research suggesting that adequate intake of calcium benefits by reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease as well as hypertension.  Although 99 percent of calcium goes to the health of teeth and bones, the remaining 1 percent shows the tendency to play a role in the functioning of muscles and nerve transmission.


Deficiency in calcium can cause problems with the heart as well as high blood pressure, but so can too much calcium; so, expert suggests that the source of calcium for health needs should come from calcium-rich food and not supplementation.


Vitamin D is vital in helping the body use calcium from the diet and research also indicates the benefits of vitamin D in fighting various other health difficulties.  Low levels of vitamin D in blood have been linked with heightened risk of heart diseases and memory issues in older adults, with asthma and cancer in kids.


Research shows that vitamin D plays a part in the prevention and treatment of type 1 and type 2 diabetes as well as high blood pressure.


Natural sources of vitamin D and calcium for bone health also come from the sun, but spending much time in the sun currently is bad for the skin, so vitamin D and calcium benefits are both best received through several natural food sources such as some fish, egg yolks, fish liver oils, grain products and dairy that is fortified.

Experts believe that research is showing that both calcium and vitamin D are important in areas of health.



Clifford Woods is the Executive Director of Vibrant Life. See more information at and


We Provide Great Products, Excellent and Useful Information and Exceptional Customer Care and Service.