Everyone at some point of time feels sad and does not enjoy life. However, for some of these people the emotional pain gets so severe and prolonged which leads to a problem called depression. Depression is a treatable mental illness. With different treatment options such as natural remedy for depression, therapies, antidepressant medications or dietary supplements like Provanax, you can help alleviate the depression symptoms. It is anticipated that two-thirds of people having depression never seek treatment and 80 percent of people with clinical depression who undergo treatment using either psychotherapy, medication, or both, notice improvement in just few weeks. Response to treatment varies from person to person so not all treatments may work for you. Consult your doctor or therapist to help you determine which treatment option is best for you. Treatments for depression usually involve a combination of medications, therapies and self-help (exercise, diet, etc.)
Psychological Treatments for Depression
Psychological treatments are also known as talking therapies which help people with depression to change their negative thinking patterns and improve their coping skills so they get ready to deal with life’s stress and conflicts. Psychological therapies not only help a person to recover, but also help prevent depression from reoccurring. Several types of effective psychological treatments for depression are mentioned below:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy: Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) helps people with depression find new ways of dealing with their negative thoughts and behaviors. Instead of exploring the causes of such feeling or emotion, CBT helps the person become aware of how their beliefs and actions are contributing to depression. Once identified, a therapist will work towards replacing those negative approaches with positive ones. Depending upon your severity of depression, therapist may arrange a daily or weekly sessions to make you learn exercises and guide you to apply the skills to the real world. Research has shown many people who took CBT for depression see significant improvement in their condition.
- Interpersonal Psychotherapy (IPT): Interpersonal Psychotherapy is a structured therapy that focuses on problems related to personal relationships. It makes you learn skills required to deal with these problems. IPT is based on the thought that problems in relationship can significantly affect a person having depression, and can even contribute to the cause.
- IPT helps the person by making him identify such patterns in their relationships which make them more susceptible to depression. Recognizing these patterns would allow improving relationships, coping with sorrow and finding new ways to get along with others.
- Psychodynamic Therapy: Psychodynamic therapy involves getting to the emotional root of the depression. The therapist will encourage you to say whatsoever going in your mind. This will make you aware of hidden meanings or patterns in your action or say that may be contributing to your depression. This can also help you see why you behave in certain ways and remove guilt which will let you move forward in your lives.
Medical Treatments for Depression
Antidepressant medications are first choice of treatments for depression. They are prescribed alone or in combination with talk therapy. There are several different types of antidepressants available in the market, so talk to doctor and take one that works. Medications help recovering symptoms of depression which actually encourages the sufferer to actively participate in the process of recovering. Some people may see improvements in mood just within a couple of weeks while others may require taking antidepressant for over six weeks to experience. Keep in mind that taking antidepressants may cause at least one unwanted side effect. Hence, always use medications that are prescribed by a medical professional. Some widely prescribed antidepressant medication includes:
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs), these are the most commonly prescribed antidepressants which include Paxil, Prozac, or Zoloft. They are doctors’ first choice for treatment of all types of depression as most people are comfortable using them.
- Serotonin and Noradrenalin Reuptake Inhibitors (SNRIs) are usually prescribed for severe depression which includes Cymbalta, Effexor XR and Pristiq. They have fewer side effects compared to the older antidepressants.
- Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors (MAOIs) are prescribed exceptionally as they require a special diet and may cause adverse side effects. MAOIs such as Nardil or Parnate are prescribed.
Self Help Treatments for Depression
- Exercise: Studies have shown that regular exercise is as effective a treatments for depression as medication. Exercise boosts serotonin and other feel good brain chemicals while also encouraging the growth of new brain cells, just like antidepressants do. To get started walk for 10-15 minutes daily and gradually aim for 30 – 60 minutes for most week days.
- Nutrition: Healthy eating is important for both mental and physical well being. Eat small, well-balanced meals all through the day to maintain your energy levels and minimize mood swings. Include foods rich in vitamins, magnesium, omega 3 fatty acids, carbohydrates and amino acids that will help you in treating depression. Avoid eating sugary foods to quickly boost and also crash your energy levels.
- Sleep: Restful sleep may strong affect your mood. Lack of sleep will actually worsen your depression symptoms such as irritability, sadness, and fatigue. Ensure to get enough sleep (at least between 7 to 9 hours) each night.
Other Treatment for Depression
- Vitamin: It is seen that people with deficiency of B Vitamins are more likely to feel depressed than others. All B vitamins are helpful which can be eaten from fruits and vegetable or can take vitamin supplements. Talk to your doctor before using any type of supplements.
- Herbal supplements: Herbal supplements, such as St. John’s Wort is useful for treating mild to moderate depression. However, it interacts with other prescribed antidepressant medications, oral contraceptives and blood thinner drugs, so use them under the guidance of doctor.
- Dietary natural supplements: Dietary natural supplements like Provanax helps increase your serotonin levels that improve your mood. Provanax is doctor formulated and clinically tested formula which includes organic vitamins, minerals and amino acids that work towards treating your depression.
Relaxation techniques like yoga, meditation, breathing techniques, etc. and acupuncture also help relieve symptoms of depression.
Depression is very much treatable mental illness using any of the aforementioned treatment options. Consult your doctor to determine the best treatments for depression depending on severity and type of depression.